Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 18, 2011

Day 18 – Like a lion



Artist: Bob Marley
 
Song: I shot the Sheriff


The man, the lion, the legend. Responsible for bringing such joy to the world. There isn’t much else I can say about him. He popularized reggae and infused it with an edge of rock while always remaining uncompromising in his message. His songs were the soundtrack of my childhood and he has spawned a legacy that includes some of my favourite reggae artists. Throughout his entire career, he remained true to his message of pan-Africanism and Rastafarianism. His tragic death robbed the world of one of its great musical talents. 









In a bit of a tragic inevitability, his message has been commodified and commercialized for our consumption since his death. His troubled upbringing along with his more militant views have been forgotten in favour of the tame representation we see today. Regardless, he still remains one of the greatest people who ever lived and a real personal hero.

Best lyrics
Sheriff John Brown always hated me
For what I don't know
Ev'ry time I plant a seed
He said, "Kill it before it grows."
He said, "Kill them before they grow."

No comments:

Post a Comment