Powered By Blogger

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Day 3 – Hip-Hop has saved me


Artist: Lupe Fiasco
Song: Kick Push
 
Album : Food and Liquor


It might be hard to believe sometimes, but I’m a huge fan of hip-hop. I’ve always identified with the artists and the general subject matter of a lot of the early wave of hip-hop. A lot of people criticize current hip-hop and rap music, and while there is some validity to these criticisms, a lot of is hard to take seriously, because they always disregard the copious amounts of socially conscious, uplifting hip-hop, since it doesn’t fit into their world view.
            I digress, but suffice to say that Lupe Fiasco is one of the vanguards of socially conscious hip-hop artists. His skills as an emcee are second to none and his electric combination of dazzling wordplay and quirky subjects make for a great listen.
            Kick Push in particular sheds a light on the oft-overlooked subculture of black skateboarders. The rhymes are sick, the lyrics are on-point and the flow is superb. After first hearing this, I went on a Lupe Binge where I discovered my favourite song of his, from his second album, ‘The Coolest’. The entire album tells a tale of a young man, adrift in a cruel world, who eventually is seduced and destroyed by the streets he once called home. 

Best Lyrics:
My man got a little older became a better a roller
Yea no helmet
Hell bent on killing himself
Is what his momma said but he was feeling himself


No comments:

Post a Comment