Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Day 5 – Say what you want


Artist: Nelly Furtado

Song: I’m like a bird
Album: Whoa, Nelly!
This is a tale of two Nelly Furtados. There was the Nelly Furtado that I discovered fortuitously as a 12 year old. She had a very unique sound, and her music videos were delightfully quirky. It was love at first sound. Her ‘folk’ music was a welcome change to my young ears. This was perfectly encapsulated in the first single off her debut album. ‘I’m like a bird’ is a slightly melancholy tune about having faith in oneself and the competing demands of love and freedom. It truly is a beautiful song.
            Success (or the hunger for it) must surely corrupt integrity. Her later albums (particularly her third) have not really come close to matching the heights of her first album. Her sound seems to have mellowed out, become more generic and is a lot more like ‘pop’ music. She’s had greater success, and I can’t really begrudge her that, but I will always remember the heady days when I devoured her music with wild enthusiasm, particularly her song ‘Powerless (Say what you want). I still love her music, particularly her recent Spanish language CD, which was wonderful, but her quirky sounds are now totally lost and I fear they are lost for good.

Best lyrics:
Your faith in me brings me to tears
Even after all these years
And it pains me so much to tell
That you don't know me that well
Day 6 – Eyes closed and shouting


No comments:

Post a Comment